Friday, February 1, 2013

The Stray Dog

The Stray Dog by Marc Simont 


The Stray Dog is realistic fiction because it was based on a true story. This story is about a family who goes out for a picnic one day and sees a stray dog. They play with the dog and name him Willy. There are two conflicts in the story. The first is when the mother and father tell the children they cannot keep the dog. The second conflict is when the dog catcher tries to pick up the stray dog. The mood of the story is sad at first but the story does have a happy ending. I chose this story because I am an animal lover and I think it's a great story to teach children to be responsible pet owners and it encourages adopting pets from shelters or strays. I really liked this book. I think the author did a great job with creating illustrations that supplemented the story and told the story without any words. I would recommend this book for younger children grades K through 3rd. This is a great book that will teach children to care for animals and to be compassionate and loving towards animals.

1 comment:

  1. I think this book looks adorable! I think it is something that would be really good to read in classrooms, for exactly why you say it would be. Since I heard your book talk I got to see the illustrations in the book, and I think it would be cool to put some of them in your blog since they were so good, and sometimes told the story without any words on the page. But really good blog :)

    ReplyDelete