Friday, February 22, 2013

Roar of A Snore

ROAR OF A SNORE 


Written by Marsha Diane Arnold
Illustrated by Pierre Pratt

Roar of A Snore is a story about a little boy Jack who is awakes one night to a roaring snoring sound. He goes to investigate waking his dog, mother, baby sister, father and all of the barn animals. The major conflict in the story is that Jack just can't seem to find what is making the snoring sound. When Jack finally does figure out what is making that roaring snoring sound it is surprising. But the snoring does not end there. The end of the story is quite a cliffhanger. 

I chose this book because I really liked the illustrations and the repetitiveness of the word "roaring" and the rhyming words. I also liked the book for all of these reasons. I thought this word would a great book for a writing activity, which is what I had the 2nd grade students of Carroll Elementary do. I had the students partner up and discuss what they thought was making the snoring sound and why. I also particularly enjoyed this book because growing up my father would snore sometimes and it would awaken me in the middle of the night. It was quite a terrifying sound honestly. This book made me laugh thinking about my dad. 

I would definitely recommend this book for children who are learning rhyming words. I think it would be a good book for Kindergarten or 1st grade. I brought this book to the 2nd grade classroom because many of the students are ESL students and not quite at the 2nd grade reading level. 

Below is a picture of me reading Roar of A Snore to the 2nd grade class. 


4 comments:

  1. I like your read aloud picture in the classroom. I also like the idea of using your book in a setting when children are learning their rhyming words this book seems like it would be perfect. I think that my kids would love to hear this story. Nice connection with the book and your dad! It seems like you did an awesome job and had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also lie your read aloud picture, you are so happy and the children look really into the book. I also like that you chose this book because of the repetitiveness of the word roaring, because I feel like for younger children it is a lot easier for them to understand the book as well as have fun with the book. These types of books are similar to dr.seuss books which children love because they are easy to understand and they are fun and outgoing. This book seems really interesting and I am really interested to know the where the roaring and snoring comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds like a really cute book. while you were sharing it, i was very interested in what was making the snoring sound and it has made me want to read this book. i think this book would be fun to read to a class and have them help you read it. they could really get into it. i like your activity, and you could definitely do a lot with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picture of you reading to the class! I am sure they loved the rhythm of the words and those great illustrations.

    ReplyDelete